PRAY During Tough Times
When you or a loved one is going through tough times, you need more than a quick on-the-go prayer. You really need to PRAY, meaning, set aside time to pray without distractions, turn off the TV, cellular phone. Get away from distractors, go to your prayer closet, wherever that is (a closet, prayer room, a specific area in your home, etc.). You pray alone, you pray with others when possible, and when others are praying, then everybody should pray in agreement. Be deliberate and committed to daily prayer. Most importantly, trust God and believe that what you are praying for, you will receive. You have to be patient because it may take a little time for things to happen. But too, when things don’t happen, this may well be your answer; this is when you ask God for acceptance and peace.
Sharing what works for me with you
We’ve all tried out things, some work and some don’t. But when something worked for you, you want to share it with others. Well, this is what I’m going to do right now. I’m going to share the prayer steps that work for me, every time, during my tough times. This is what keeps me going, focused, strong, faithful, encouraged, sane, and fills me with wisdom, love, peace, joy and patience. I trust God with everything through Jesus.
During tough times, I’ve been in God’s presence, felt His love and peace wrapped around me and I’ve heard Him say, “Deb, everything is going to be alright. I’m going to get you through this victoriously. I’m with you. Your Heavenly family is with you.” And you know what, God has given me the victory over and over again. He has never failed me! That’s why I will always praise, honor and glorify my God and tell everybody about Him and the great things He has done for me and my family.
Deb’s Prayer Steps That Work
Here are the prayer steps that works for me, every time, and I know will work for you. I encourage you to read the scriptures I’m referencing.
- Write down your prayer and date it. Writing down your prayer is important and takes your prayer to another level (Habakkuk 2:2). This means you’re serious, you’re not playing, you’re desperate, you really need a change, you need a break through, you want things to turn around in a good way. You need God!
- Be specific about what you are asking God for with a sincere and clean heart. Being specific makes you think through what you are asking for. Sometimes when we have to write things down, we get stuck and don’t know what to write because we really don’t know what we want or why we want it and this puts things into perspective. You want to be as detailed as possible because when you receive what you asked for, you know without a doubt that it came from God (James 1:17).
- Reference scriptures that relate to your situation throughout your prayer (Hebrews 4:12). This is not for God’s benefit but for your benefit. It reassures you that if God said it or did it for someone else, He will do the same for you too. Also remember that when Jesus was tempted by the devil, His response was, “It is written.” Jesus defeated the devil and resisted temptation three times by quoting scriptures (Matthew 4:1-11). So if Jesus, the Son of God, relied on scripture, how much more should we. Hello!
- Thank God for what He has done, is doing and will do for you. God loves you, cares for you and is interested in every detail of your life. He is always doing good things for you, small and big. God is always working behind the scenes for you, lining and positioning things for your good. He is that awesome! Many times we credit the good things in our lives to “good luck” when in reality, it’s “God’s love” that’s working miracles in our lives (Psalm 136:1-4).
- Pray in Jesus’ name. Why? Because that’s what Jesus said to do. Got it! We must pray to God in Jesus’ name because Jesus is the only way to God (John 14:6; 16:23-24). There is no name greater than the name of Jesus. His name is above all names (Philippians 2:9). When you call on the name of Jesus believing that you will receive what you asked for, make no mistake, God will deliver and you might even get more than what you asked for (Ephesians 3:20).
- Agreement Verses. Write a list of scriptures about God’s promises, that relate to your situation, comforts, encourages and uplifts you. Read them aloud and allow scripture, through the Holy Spirit, to speak to your heart and to your situation. Take a moment to meditate on each scripture. Reflect on what it means to you. Make scripture personal… own it. Make it your reality and apply it in your life. Trust God to do what He promised. Because “God is not a man, so he does not lie.” Numbers 23:19
- Praying in Agreement. Share your written prayer and agreement verses with people you trust, and agree in prayer. Prayer is already powerful but when two or three are praying the exact same thing and agree, this is extra powerful (Matthew 18:19-20).
- Pray daily without ceasing. Spend quiet time with God. Don’t rush through this. You may want to first start with praising and worshipping God with Christian music to focus your mind and heart on God. Then aloud, read your agreement verses, meditate on them, pray your agreement prayer, then talk with God straight from your heart in Jesus’ name. Pray without ceasing (1 Thessalonians 5:16). You will feel God’s presence, love, peace and joy. You will start to see God working all things together for your good (Romans 8:28), even bad things.
When two or three agree in prayer… Powerful!
I would like to talk a little more about praying in agreement. When two or three people agree to pray the same thing, it is sooo powerful. My husband and I pray in agreement all the time. I write down the prayer and a list of related verses. Then I share them with him and we pray. I will tell you again, it really works! God has always answered.
As part of my Christian Life Coaching, I started writing prayers for others, specific to their situation, with related scriptures throughout the prayer, for them to pray in agreement. There are times people ask me to pray in agreement with them or to pray for them and I do. I have seen prayers answered for many. What an awesome feeling to see God at work in people’s lives and being a part of it.
God answers prayers!
Writing down your prayer in detail is important because when your prayer has been answered, you can go back and read it. And when you see that you received exactly what you asked for, you know, without a doubt, that it was all God. Then you can check it off, give God the glory and share your testimony with others. That’s what I do.
I love sharing my testimony with others so they know that God is real. That He is a good Father and loves us dearly. I want people to know that God answers prayers and continues to bless His children as He did in Bible days.
If you are going through tough times, I pray and hope this helps you. Just know that you are not alone, God is with you and He will get you through.
“Answer me when I call to you, O God who declares me innocent. Free me from my troubles. Have mercy on me and hear my prayer.” Psalm 4:1 NLT
“I also tell you this: If two of you agree here on earth concerning anything you ask, my Father in heaven will do it for you. For where two or three gather together as my followers, I am there among them.” Matthew 18:19-20 NLT
“I tell you, you can pray for anything, and if you believe that you’ve received it, it will be yours.” Mark 11:24 NLT
“You can ask for anything in my name, and I will do it, so that the Son can bring glory to the Father. Yes, ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it!” John 14:13-14 NLT
“Rejoice in our confident hope. Be patient in trouble, and keep on praying.” Romans 12:12 NLT
“Always be joyful. Never stop praying. Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.” 1 Thessalonians 5:18 NLT
Pray & Trust God!
From Deb’s to yours…
Your comments are welcome! I love hearing from you! If this message or any other message touched your heart or fits your situation, please leave your precious comments. Give hope and encouragement to someone today!
Go to GiJiM Facebook Page: Like – Comment – Share!
Please share my messages with family, friends and on your social medias. This message may not be for you but it is for somebody! Pass it on!